Thursday, February 28, 2013

Population Health 101

The last 10 days of weather in our city have been anything but boring. Heavy snow fall, power outages and most importantly to my students, cancelled classes. In one of my classes we're currently talking about population health and wellness. In an online discussion board I posed the following question to my class. "What impact would the inclement weather in Kansas City have on population health?" Most of the responses were exactly what I'd expect, "People who need health care might not be able to venture out to get it," ,"Increased difficulty with access to care", "More injures as a result of slips, falls, and snow shoveling." 

However, once again I got the one response I was not expecting. One student said the following, "Slips and falls, old farts having heart attacks from over doing it with the shovel. But most importantly, well over one thousand people lost power, and when the power goes out, there ain't much to do but have sex. So look for the population to go up in about 9 months."

What could I say? While his response was somewhat crude, he was exactly right!

Keep it funny my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment